Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thinking through a thoughtful Thanksgiving



Last night we had a great time celebrating Thanksgiving with our community group. After a great meal we did a "thankful tree" where everyone, adults and children, wrote down on a leaf what they were thankful for and got to put it on the 'tree'. We all sat down and James opened up reading through Psalm 100 and then one by one each peron got to go up and share what they were thankful for and put it on the 'tree'. The kids loved this and got a kick out of listening to each other talk about what they were thankful for. At one point, I had Caitlin and Caleb in my lap and Caleb and I were laughing hysterically. I am thankful for that moment.



This morning we went to church and our pastor talked about how our body has been helping those in need in Africa. Many members of our body have gone over there through ALARM to help, teach and encourage teachers, pastors, government officials, lawyers and those traumatized by war. We were challenged and encouraged to help...not just financially but through prayer and teaching our children what is beyond their front door. Our pastor, Todd, gave us a practical example of what they are doing as a family. Which is, for 1 week they are only eating rice and beans and a banana for a snack to help them understand life through other people's eyes and to also cultivate thankfulness in their hearts. So after talking with Brian, we too, are going to take up this practical example. (Not for a whole week just Monday and Tuesday before we leave for Houston) Even though it's only for 2 days I imagine it will be humbling...not only for them but for me as well.

So right before lunch Brian and I decided to tell them the news when they saw their lunch and started complaining (which was day 3 of leftovers)...and they usually complain 99% of the time.... so I was looking forward to having a response to their ungratefulness. But, lo and behold, this was one of those 1% times. Caleb just sat down and prayed a sweet prayer and Christopher looked at me and said, "Thank you mommy."
Ouch. I was looking forward to addressing their thanklessness yet I got the 1%. Brian and I just smiled at each other and explained to them anyway what we are going to do. They didn't seemed phased by it and said they didn't think it would be hard. Hmmm. We'll see.....:o)

No comments: