Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Beans and Rice challenge!

It's that time of year again for beans and rice! Last year during a sermon our pastor talked about how he and his family cultivate thankfulness and compassion for others in their hearts...a week prior to Thanksgiving all they ate was beans and rice....a reminder of how most of the world eats. It was pretty inspiring and humbling so we did it too. But not for a week. I wasn't that brave. We did it for 2 days. And ,wow, it was just 2 days and it was hard...probably harder for me than it was for the kids....I couldn't just pop open a can of diet coke when I felt like it or snack on some chips or, my favorite, eat dessert/candy after my meals.
Though it was just a measly two days it was a very humbling experience. I won't even try to describe it because I know I won't do it justice. But it does something in your heart. And I love how God works because not only is He working on my heart, He is also working on my boys' hearts. I couldn't believe it when the other day I was reading them this story about a boy in Africa who's parents died and so at the age of 12 he was taking care of his 3 younger siblings and they ate once a day and after we prayed for them Caleb asked when were going to eat like Africans again.:) He is actually looking forward to it! Wow. I confess I'm not. It is hard...which probably shows how spoiled I am...but I know the rewards that come in my heart afterwards. We are going to add another day this year and do it from Mon until Thanksgiving.
So if you also desire an experience that brings deep joy, peace and thankfulness then join in with us and see what God does in your heart. More than likely there will be times that will be hard, your stomach will growl or you just want this or that. In those times, pray. Pray for those who are also hungry and hurting in this world, and like I said before, see what God does in your heart.

No comments: