Friday, April 9, 2010

breaks my heart

Today Brian came with us to eat lunch with Dajia at her school. We also brought along Treveon's (Dajis's little brother) birthday present to give to him. We saw him in the cafeteria and he ran up to us; and what surprised me was that Caleb gave him a big bear hug and lifted him off the ground.:) Treveon was so thrilled to get a gift but not long afterwards his spirit was shot when a teacher yelled at him, "Come here boy! What makes you think you deserve a gift after the way you've been acting?!"

Breaks my heart.

What breaks my heart more was that I did not stand up for him. I did nothing. I didn't explain to the teacher that we were the ones who pulled him aside. I didn't explain to her that it was a birthday gift. I was a coward. I was a coward because it has happened once before where a teacher yelled at Dajia and Caleb for goofing around. But that time I did stand up for them and apologized on their behalf but she continued on with her shaming.
I stood up for these kids last time and it did nothing so I didn't stand up this time. I am ashamed because I should've said something not only to help the teacher understand the situation but because it was the right thing to do.

I wonder if that teacher knows about a Man who died for her; and not because of anything she deserved but only because she is so dearly loved. I am thankful that I do; but am heartbroken that my fear outweighed the Truth and Love that I know.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-Edmund Burke
I hope and pray that next time I will do something.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

thank you for your honesty, love for these children and love for the Lord! you my dear friend are an inspiration. Unfortunately, I am quite sure that you will get another opportunity to stand up for your kids - all of them! :) Love you friend!

The B4 said...

that is so heart-breaking. we had a field trip recently, and i witnessed another teacher from another school shame little children. the LORD used this in your heart, Lisa. i know you are a woman of faith, love, courage, and justice. you will do what's right. you can still stand up for him---by talking to him--or by finding the teacher. the moment is not lost. if not now, then the LORD will use this and give more opportunities. love you and your heart. God is evident in you. Father, we ask that all shame and condemnation cease in this boys' life, in many children's lives, and in the teacher's life who must herself struggle with feeling condemnation. Restore life and grace, and freedom to those that Lisa has a wonderful opportunity to influence as she prays and loves. In Jesus Name. Amen.